The Dunedin Amenities Society

Archives

2013 is a watershed moment for the Dunedin Amenities Society as it counts down towards the 125th anniversary of its foundation. Conceived on October 15th 1888, the Society is New Zealand’s oldest and longest running environmental organisation. It’s an enviable record of longevity and relevance which any organisation should be justifiably proud, and one that the Society will no doubt celebrate with the public of Dunedin. As an organisation the Society has made a significant mark on the city through its development of… Read More

The recent decision by the City Council to restore the portion of Queens Drive above Littlebourne from car park to scenic road within the Town Belt is welcomed by the Dunedin Amenities Society. The protection of the reserve’s  heritage, landscape and ecological values are paramount to the city’s identity and physical fabric. The Council allowed its own Transportation Planning Department to unilaterally damage a legal reserve without consultation or the consideration for the values of the reserve…. Read More

The Dunedin Amenities Society first raised the issue of the alteration to Queens Drive in 2005-2006 after the City Council’s Transportation Planning Department unilaterally altered the road without public consultation in 2004-2005. Since then the Amenities Society have watched as the roadway has become a car park for both local school pupils and city commuters. What’s the issue with that people might ask, isn’t it a road? Isn’t that what the roads are for? Firstly, it isn’t… Read More

It was with considerable concern that the Society read of the plight of two of the trees growing in Anzac avenue. The Avenue trees are an important landscape and heritage feature of the city that dates back to the work of prominent New Zealand architect Edmund Anscombe and the development of the 1925-1926 New Zealand and South Seas International Exhibition. Edmund Anscombe was an important figure in the architectural and town planning industry at both a… Read More

The St Martin Island Community are a dedicated group of individuals who have been responsible for the management of the conservation and heritage values of Quarantine Island in Otago Harbour. Quarantine Island has a rich history from its early Maori beginnings as an important Kai Tahu fishing area named Kamau Taurua until becoming Dunedin’s main Quarantine station from the halcyon days of the Otago gold rush until the early twentieth century. As a quarantine station many Otago immigrants recovered here… Read More

The launching of the Draft Long Term Plan (2012-2022) and the Annual Plan (2012-2013) by the Dunedin City Council is a continuation of a public process which envelopes the city, its ratepayers and many organisations over the coming months.  While the City Council prepares its programme for the coming financial year and beyond, there’s a degree of cynicism over the process when considering that many of the spending priorities are already in place. This begs the question how can… Read More

It was great to have so many people make the opening of Craigieburn and to see the interest that there was in this historic part of Dunedin. To be able to share that with the community has been a very unique and enjoyable opportunity. Piper Tony Beck gave a stirring welcome to visitors, playing from the milking room floor of the byre above Ross Creek. Normally, people are asked to cut ribbons… Read More

The new interpretative signs are installed and the grass is cut ready for the official opening on Saturday 10:00am. With the signs installed the interpretation trail has finally taken shape, and the story behind Craigieburn can be revealed to the Dunedin public. Here is a sneak peek to wet your heritage appetite. See you all on Saturday, bring your pioneer spirit.

The installation of a seating area at Craigieburn has been completed and the area will include an interpretative sign naming the area “Tanners View”. The seats made by Cargill Enterprises and installed by Delta staff, provide a welcome viewing area across the valley and are in the same place where the 1890’s photograph of Edwin Tanner was taken looking out across the Leith Valley. Edwin Tanner arrived at Craigieburn as one of Elizabeth Rankin’s boarders… Read More

Open Day 10th December 2011 10:00 am – 1:00 pm Tanner Road The Dunedin Amenities Society will be holding an open day at the Craigieburn Reserve on the 10th of December 2011 starting at 10:00 am. The open day will be the official opening of the reserve by the mayor and the launch of the heritage interpretation trail developed on site for the Dunedin public. This is your chance to get the… Read More