The Dunedin Amenities Society

Archives

The preservation work on the small ruin adjacent to the public track to Ross Creek is now finished with the completion of the stone work and stabilisation of the structure. There is a noticeable increase in the “robustness” of the ruin now and it should now remain as an important heritage feature for a further 150 years. When one looks at the stone and clay work undertaken in the repair, there is a glimpse into the way… Read More

The restoration of the old ruin at Craigieburn is moving into its third stage as the final pieces of the archaeological jigsaw are moved into place. The little ruin has always been puzzling, was it the settlers original dwelling or did the building have another purpose? With the removal of the large tree in the north-west corner excavation has been able to be undertaken to look for the foundations of the original front wall… Read More

Phase two of the restoration of the old building at Craigieburn was completed successfully this morning. The removal of several large trees was undertaken from around the stone structure yesterday, and a large broadleaf (Griselinia littoralis) stump was removed from the western corner of the structure this morning. Grant Webber from John Clearwater Contracting has had experience on operating in archaeological areas before and he showed a deft touch with the digger… Read More

Contractors from Asplundh removed several trees from the old building ruin on the walking track at Craigieburn Reserve this morning. The trees were growing through the stone walls of the earliest building on the historic site and needed removing to allow for much-needed preservation works to begin. While it was sad to see the removal of these specimens from the site it is critical for the long-term preservation and care of this fascinating… Read More

The Dunedin Amenities Society are to begin the first stage of their heritage restoration project at Craigieburn tomorrow morning. Stage One of the project is the stabilisation of the oldest structure on the property a stone building above the main rimu stand on the public track. The building ruin was probably built in 1860 and is possibly the earliest structure on the site. The Society applied for and received an archaeological authority for the preservation… Read More

On the 11th of September 1888 Dunedin lawyer Alexander Bathgate read an address to the Otago Institute entitled “The development and conservation of the amenities of Dunedin and its neighbour-hood.” The address was the catalyst for the foundation of the Dunedin and Suburban Reserves Conservation Society, the fore-runner of the Dunedin Amenities Society. Bathgate outlined a vision for Dunedin that was so detailed in its construction that he apologised to his audience… Read More

There’s an old saying that “you never get a second chance to make a first impression” and it certainly applies to the northern entrance to Dunedin. The first impression of Dunedin from Pine Hill Road is inviting and promising as you look over the Leith Valley, across the central city and out to the Pacific Ocean. Unfortunately, that promising first impression is then deflected onto the ugly steel tubing fence that runs along the pedestrian footpath like two drunken parallel worms. This ugly… Read More

Last year the Society made the decision to clear the gorse off the bank area below the western paddock down to Tanner Road. This was a key part of the restoration project and one that was much-needed for the reserve and the local area. It was a big job and we discovered gorse that was over 50 years old. We had contractors come in and cut the material down and the City Council’s… Read More

Robin Hood Park in the Town Belt has been a traditional area for viewing the City since 1954, and was known as the “Queens View”. The area has become overgrown and the seats vandalised and the Society would like to see the area restored to its former glory. Discussions between the Society and the Dunedin City Council will be ongoing in 2011 to see what can be done to repair the site.

It was of particular interest to the Dunedin Amenities Society to read about the donation of a seat, rubbish bin, and rose garden on the corner of Hanover and Great King streets by Councillor Paul Hudson and his brother Michael Hudson (ODT 11th December 2010).  This generous gesture to the city was made by the Hudson’s to honour their parents, and is a welcome addition to the city’s streetscape. Imagine the Amenities… Read More